Saturday, 5 February 2011

5 years ago today, I was in a paddling pool in our play room

Yes, BabyDragon is 5 years old today.

Raising the SmallDragons taught me everything I know about parenting. Then BabyDragon came along and ripped up everything I thought knew and scattered it to the four winds whilst running away giggling.

I often think that, on the birthday of a child, the mother should be given a gift. After all her hard work, I think she deserves it. So, what did I get to celebrate my part in this momentous day? A stroppy pre-teen boy, his easily wound up younger brother and the joy of icing 16 pink cupcakes fairy cakes.

Then there was the hell of a birthday party at Kidspace. Although, to be fair, the reason I chose Kidspace despite its eye-watering price tag is that all I had to do was turn up with a cake, the birthday girl and an empty bag for the presents. Trust me, it is worth every penny. I took one small girl off to locate BabyDragon, I wandered over with my camera at candle blowing out time and I sat about drinking coffee and chatting to a few other mothers who were not so slack as to dump their child and run. (These fellow slack mothers grow fewer and further between as time goes on so it is worth making the most of it whilst you can. It won't be long before you are left with 15 hyperactive 7 year olds and not another adult for miles.)

Whilst I was doing f-all socialising with the mothers, what I assume were 6th formers doing their Saturday job took the children off on a quick tour, left them to play and then gathered them up, fed them, entertained them and organised the whole candle routine. They then took them to reception, handed out party bags and it was Job Done. Job Done for me, that is, as I am sure they had another gaggle of excited children to deal with. Personally, I'd rather work in Boots the Chemist.

No comments:

Post a Comment